Monday, August 18, 2008

800 blurry freshmen


0816081104.jpg
Originally uploaded by SkipGienapp
Saturday was orientation at the university where I work. Every fall, I stand before these "eager young minds" and cajole them to bring their class schedule with them to buy books in my bookstore. This year I tried to break up the monotony by taking a picture. The picture turned out blurry. (I only use my phone camera for pics.)

At first I was bummed, but then I was elated. I realize that this picture of 800 freshmen is actually a metaphor for my role in the bookstore. This is exactly what last year's class looked like, and likely what next years class will look like. This is probably the first, and last, time I will see some of these people. I am able to help individuals as they come to me with their textbook, advising, orientation, and financial questions, and that's actually the way I prefer it. I'd rather make a big difference in a couple of lives than be famous to many. Every year, people graduate who know my name whose name I've never known to even begin to remember.

Their college career is beginning, and at the end of the day they've got bigger problems than I do. At the end of the day, I've got a family that needs me, and it's to those people that I am responsible.

It's still a lot of fun though....

No comments: