Sunday, July 26, 2009

What the heck have I been doing?

I'm pretty inconsistent with my blogging, because I find lots of little diversions that end up stealing what is probably an unhealthy amount of my time. In the interest of self-analysis and full-disclosure, I offer the following report of my "spare time" activities.

In late 2007, I opened a Facebook profile. After a slow start, it grew on me in 2008 while it experienced its own growth spurt to overtake the low-brow MySpace in popularity and overall usefulness. I played on Facebook for a large part of 2008 and early 2009, until I became fed up with the deluge of inconsequential games, open source applications, and spammers. Facebook has been invaluable as a method of communication, information, and reunion with old friends, but it's tough to just sit there and stare at it.

Not wanting to miss out on any other tech trend, I signed up for Twitter profile in late 2008, but left it dormant for the first 3 or so months. Twitter recently has replaced Facebook as my social network of choice, for both it's brevity (140 characters at a time) and it's scope (worldwide). Condensing a thought or even a "partial thought" into 140 characters is both entertaining and a challenge, and often results in humor. Since Twitter is not yet as prolific as Facebook, Twitter terms, jargon, usage and capabilities are, as yet, not widely known, giving the whole thing the feeling of a good inside joke. This, as it turns out, is a large part of it's appeal to me.

Between Facebook and Twitter, I've spent less and less time on Flickr which is only a commentary on that amount of time I have, not the quality of one of my favorite websites. Flickr has been a great way for sharing events and occasions in our family life but lately we have been double posting pics and now, in the interest of consolidation, will likely post family pictures to Laurie's Flickr page, relegating mine to pictures of my road travel, sound, and other tech-related things.

In between FB and Twitter updates, I watch Hulu. I don't remember how I found Hulu, but I was delighted to find collections of my favorite shows: Cops, Family Guy, SNL, House, Daily Show, etc. Hulu has a far better user interface than Joost, whose name you will notice is not a hyperlink here.. because I think Joost sucks. Lest you think I give every nerd website out there a thumbs up...

Hulu also includes in it's lineup the Fox Business Network's one hour version The Dave Ramsey Show, and if you've read this blog at all in the last year, you know I've become a rabid DR fan. I don't need to elaborate on this now but watch a couple of hours of this to see what all the fuss is about.

Hulu has nearly, but not completely, replaced my use of Netflix, because of it's streaming capabilities and one of my favorite tech items, my wireless headphones. This means that boys can be watching Spongebob behind me in the family room, and I can be watching my very favorite type of film in the world, the documentary.

These are some of my favorite things... but there is just one problem. Do you see this picture?



It was taken by Damien, with my camera. It's taken from his vantage point. From his height. Through his eyes. And I'm faced with a serious question...

How much of his image of me looks like this?

None of my "toys" should be interfering with my sons....I should be playing with them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, let me break it down for you folks without all of the wordy-words. Computer, DVDs, Wii. That's all that needs to be said.

emmegab said...

but such a great post, skip. love it. now, can you can convince your brother to blog again?